Consider sending a public service announcement (PSA) if your event is open to the public* and meets one or more of the following criteria:
- The subject matter is accessible to a general audience.
- The topic relates to a local or community issue.
- The topic relates to a larger societal issue or trend story (i.e. something that has been or is being widely covered by media).
- The event features a well-known or highly esteemed speaker.
- The subject matter is unusual, evocative or quirky.
*If your event is not open to the public, but you still think it would be of interest to media, consider drafting a “media advisory.” A media advisory features the same basic form and content as a PSA and includes an introductory paragraph that notes the event is NOT open to the public, but media are invited to attend for photo and interview opportunities.
Read: "How do I promote an event?" to learn more about public service announcements and other options for event promotion.