Images are a powerful messaging tool and play an important role on a webpage. They add visual interest that can grab attention as well as convey emotions or ambiance and demonstrate life at WSU.
To keep a webpage looking fresh, images should be updated at least every three years.
Requesting University Images
Over the years, the University Marketing & Communications team has collected a wide variety of university photos both from professional photoshoots and in-house student photographers.
You can request a selection of existing images from the photo library and request photography services for new photos. Simply submit a form to Request Photography and choose the option you prefer.
If you choose, you may supply your own photos to be included on webpages. Learn about the parameters for on-campus photography.
Expectations for Images
- Images must depict real WSU students/faculty/staff, campus locations, campus activities and events, Winona-area locations, or Winona-area activities and events
- Clip art, line drawings and commercial stock photography are not permitted
- Blinking or animated images are not permitted
- Images must be used judiciously on a website so that they add value to a webpage, rather than overwhelm or clutter an information-dense webpage
- Images must meet technical quality standards
Image resolution should be 72 dots-per-inch (dpi)
- Saved as JPEG for photos
- Saved as PNG for graphics with transparency
- Image file size should optimized for web and no larger than 1MB
- Images must meet aesthetic quality standards as determined by the Web Team
- Images must be placed within standard templates at standard sizes
- Images must meet accessibility standards for photos & graphics
- The quantity of images and image file sizes must not compromise page-load speeds
Image Sizes & Where to Use Them
Medium Main Image
Dimensions = 748 x 400px
Where to Use: Content Photo element -- only in OT 7ab templates
Large Main Image
Dimensions = 876 x 400px
Where to Use: Photo Element -- always used in OT 8 templates, can be used in OT 7ab templates.
Full-Width Main Image
Dimensions = 1168 x 400px
Where to Use: Photo Element -- always used in OT 7c, OT 7d and OT8d templates. Also used for department website homepage banners.
Dimensions = 748 x 748px
Where to Use: Photo Right page element -- only in OT 7ab templates
Dimensions = 1077 x 658px
Where to Use: Only on Rochester Homepage Roundabout
Dimensions: 107 x 125px
Where to Use: Tab Boxes -- available on select webpages only
Staff / Faculty Profile Images
Dimensions = 120 x 150px
Where to Use: Only in Fac/Staff Templates
If a profile pic is not available, use one of the standard "No-Image" photos shown below.